Rideshare services like Uber have radically changed transportation in this county. A passenger can obtain transit by tapping a button on their smartphone. But technology has not eliminated the possibility that rideshare passengers may be injured in car accidents.
Assessing liability may be complicated after an Uber crash. These rideshare drivers, unlike traditional taxi services, are independent contractors and are not considered Uber employees. Liability depends on the Uber driver’s behavior, Uber liability insurance coverage and the passenger’s insurance.
Uber has liability insurance coverage for its drivers while using the app. Benefits include up to 1 million dollars for third-party liability covering the damage to other vehicles and the injuries that individuals suffered. Uber’s liability insurance covers damages when the Uber driver is responsible for the crash.
However, another motorist’s insurance may have to provide coverage if the Uber driver is not responsible for the accident. But if that motorist is underinsured or has no insurance, Uber’s uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage may provide coverage. Sometimes, the passenger’s insurance will cover the accident.
Injured Uber accident victims may be entitled to compensation for damages. These usually include lost earnings, medical costs, and pain and suffering.
Injured passengers must file a claim with Uber’s insurance company. Its insurance adjustor will determine its value by investigating the accident claim, reviewing medical records and documents and considering other evidence.
What to do
Passengers involved in Uber car crashes should take these steps:
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if anyone is hurt because the safety of anyone involved in the accident is always the top priority.
- Photograph the accident scene, all vehicles involved in the accident, any injuries, and the surrounding area.
- Collect contact information from anyone involved in the accident and witnesses.
- Report the accident to Uber’s support team through the app or website so the claim process may begin.
- Get medical attention because some injury symptoms may not appear immediately or there may be other underlying problems that the accident caused.
Injured passengers may receive legal assistance to determine the value of their claim and obtain evidence. Passengers can also receive legal advice before considering any settlement offers.