As a driver, you have full control over everything you do in your vehicle. Conversely, you don’t have any control over other people on the road, as they’re going to make their own decisions.
It’s critical to understand the top causes of car accidents, as this can help you avoid trouble:
- Distracted driving: Anything that takes your attention away from the road is a distraction. Texting, talking on the phone and eating or drinking are just a few of the most common forms of distracted driving.
- Drunk driving: Anytime a person drives under the influence of alcohol, there’s a greater chance they’ll cause an accident.
- Speeding: It’s not always easy to drive within the speed limit, but pushing things too far increases the risk of a crash. The speed limit is in place for a reason.
- Reckless driving: There are many forms of reckless driving, such as changing lanes without signaling and illegal passing.
- Weather conditions: Driving conditions are not always perfect. There will be times when drivers are contending with rain, wind and even sun glare.
- Tailgating: Following another vehicle too closely is a big mistake, as it gives you less time to stop.
If another driver causes a car accident, you should pull to safety and call 911. Doing so will ensure that police respond to the scene, thus creating a report that you can use later on.
Once you file an insurance claim, you’ll have a better idea of where things stand. You should never hesitate to take any steps that will help protect your legal rights.