When driving in close proximity to large commercial vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, it’s hard not to think about being involved in an accident.
One mistake by a trucker can cause a serious accident that results in life-changing injuries or even death. Here are some of the many mistakes that can cause this type of accident:
- Inadequate training, such as that related to safety issues and driving technique
- Distracted driving, which can include everything from texting to eating
- Drowsy driving, which remains a problem as truckers are always looking for a way to make better time
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Reckless driving, including but not limited to speeding and failure to use turn signals
- Unrealistic schedules set by the trucking company
The bad thing about these potential mistakes is that you don’t have any control. For example, it’s very difficult to know if a trucker is distracted or is well-rested.
As the driver of a passenger vehicle, there are steps you can take to improve your safety. You can keep additional space between your vehicle and large trucks, while also obeying all the rules of the road.
If you are part of a truck accident, the chance of a serious injury is very high. You should immediately call 911, as you want an ambulance to arrive at the scene to provide assistance. Once you receive treatment and know what the future will bring, turn back to the accident itself to better understand what went wrong and how you can protect your legal rights.
Source: FindLaw, “Common Causes of Truck Accidents,” accessed May 11, 2018