After having a few drinks, some drivers think they are completely fine to do drive. In fact, they may try to convince themselves and others that they are actually better drivers when they are slightly intoxicated. But no matter how people try to rationalize the behavior, drunk driving is dangerous and drunk drivers are probably not hiding their impairment very well.
In fact, there are numerous signs that a person might be drunk behind the wheel. While that person might think they are being completely safe and following the laws, the reality can look very different.
For instance, if you are driving and see another person exhibiting the following behaviors, there is a chance he or she could be drunk. These behaviors include:
- Weaving or swerving out of his or her lane
- Following others too closely
- Driving on the wrong side of the street
- Driving without their lights on
- Driving too slowly or much too fast
- Making abrupt turns without using the turn signal
- Erratic braking and speed changes
- Driving onto boulevards, medians, sidewalks and other areas not meant for cars
Drivers doing these things may not think others will notice; sometimes they don’t even realize they are exhibiting these behaviors. This lack of awareness is just one effect of intoxication that makes a person a serious threat on the road.
If you spot someone driving erratically or recklessly, try to stay away from that person to avoid a collision. Of course, this isn’t always possible, so in the event of a drunk driving accident in Atlanta, we encourage victims and their families to consult an attorney to discuss the possibility of pursuing a personal injury lawsuit.