Maggy E. Randels
Maggy has dedicated the majority of her career to helping seriously injured victims recover for their injuries. Maggy has been a part of numerous trial teams and recovered many significant settlements for her clients. Since 2020, she has been recognized as a Super Lawyer Rising Star. Only 2.5% of the total lawyers in Georgia are selected as Rising Stars. Maggy has also been recognized as one of Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite and in Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch.
Maggy began her legal career as a judicial clerk to Thomas W. Thrash, Jr., the Chief Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. There, she assisted the Judge in drafting orders and learned the intricate inner workings of the federal court system.
Following the completion of her clerkship, Maggy joined a large international law firm where she worked to defend a corporation facing multiple individual products liability suits as the result of a decertified class action. Additionally, Maggy took on several pro bono cases, including successfully representing the uncle of two unaccompanied immigrant children from Guatemala. Maggy assisted her client in obtaining guardianship of his nieces, the first step in obtaining special immigrant juvenile status for the children.
Since graduating from the University of Georgia School of Law, Maggy has remained active in the law school's moot court and mock trial programs, serving as a guest judge as well as a team coach. Maggy also serves as the head coach for Georgia State University’s undergraduate mock trial team and is a Candidate Director of the American Mock Trial Association’s Board of Directors.
Since 2020, Maggy has been a member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association’s Executive Committee, serving as chair of the New Lawyers’ Division and the Communications Committee.
Maggy and her husband, Doug, live in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood of Atlanta.
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Major: Political Science
- Major: Latin American Studies
Classes and Seminars
- Lien Negotiation 101, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, September 2022
- Making Your Auto Case Extraordinary: Keeping Negligent Hiring, Retention, and Training in Play, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association Auto Torts, July 2022
- Making the Most of Your Client’s Settlement, Webinar, May 2022
- Witness Preparation, Webinar, May 2022 (Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Cwy9gp6vs&t=3s)
- Top Ten Tips for Treating Doctor Depositions, Shiver Hamilton Campbell CLE, February 2022
- Panel discussion regarding trucking litigation for the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association New Lawyers Division. Covered topics ranging from direct action, to venue, to evidence to seek in discovery, May 2021
Honors and Awards
- Order of the Coif, University of Georgia School of Law
- Order of the Barristers, University of Georgia School of Law
- Executive Articles Editor, Georgia Law Review
- Champion & Third Best Brief, Moot Court National Championship
- Champion & Outstanding Trial Brief, South Texas Mock Trial Challenge
- National Best Brief & Regional Champion, ABA NAAC Moot Court
- Ronald Carlson Award for Excellence in the Study of Evidence
- Henry Joseph Lumpkin Inn of Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Atlanta Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Shiver Hamilton Campbell, LLC
- Jones Day
- Thomas W. Thrash, Jr., Chief Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Law Clerk